The City University of Hong Kong has more than 20,000 students enrolled in over 30 graduate and undergraduate degree programs. The institution uses state-of-the-art technology to deliver curriculum to an increasingly mobile and diverse student population. Since 2009, City U Hong Kong has used Echo360 lecture capture technology to allow their instructors to develop innovative teaching methods as well as providing student access to learning ‘round the clock.
“Technology offers mobile students flexibility and a foundation for collaboration – all essential components of modern professional practice and delivering education in a digital society,” says Dr. Andy Chun, CIO. He adds, “Video is one of the most convenient ways to access education. We are moving from outcome-based learning to more student centric pedagogy and active learning. The use of video with Echo360 makes it easy for our instructors to do this by flipping the classroom and engaging more students.”
Here are some of the innovative ways City U of Hong Kong uses Echo360 lecture capture and video:
- Distance Learning and Instructor Exchanges. City U webcasts programs to remote locations on Mainland China. Additionally, the university participates in virtual “instructor exchanges” with higher education institutions in the US. Students worldwide are able to gain exposure to research they might not otherwise be able to access.
- Flipped Classrooms. Many City U instructors now use Echo360 lecture capture to flip their classrooms. Students view recorded lectures in advance of class and participate in group or other hands-on activities during class.
- Student Presentation / Peer Review. Students record their presentations for peer review and grading on any computer on the City U campus.
- Contingency Planning. Learning goes on, despite disruptions caused by environmental or natural disasters. City U has implemented a contingency plan that includes the use of Echo360 in case of such emergencies.
- Curriculum Repository. City U has created an online library of instructional material for use by instructors and staff using Echo360.
Watch the video to hear Dr. Andy Chun, CIO of City U discuss how Echo360 helps them create a video-based learning environment for students. You’ll learn why 96% of the students there say they want more lecture capture!